Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pusha T- My Name is My Name (2013)



Why did I review the album? My roommate recommended it to me
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again? Yes
Generally, I don’t like album about drugs because it seems like the easy route that rappers automatically return to for content. And, anyone that has ever smoked weed or dealt a small amount can use the name drug dealer and technically not have told a lie. The rappers that smoke religiously (Currency, Wiz Khalifa and others), It’s hard for me to like them because I don’t understand most of the references they allude to and I don’t understand that lifestyle (I do not smoke). But this album is the exception
I’m not sure who creates beats for Pusha T, but the beats on this album are cleverly constructed. There’s usually a beat that serves as the foundation. It usually melts into the background nicely because there is a secondary instrument that takes the forefront that is very distinguishable.  The two beats are basic which allow for his lyrics to take center stage.
This album’s backbone deals with drugs, but deviates enough to give the album variety and depth. Drugs is a common subject among rappers, but Pusha's delivery is not. Its amazing beats make the album a joy to listen to and Pusha T delivers bar after bar of genius lyrics which have double meanings in most cases.
For me, the album's crowning achievement is its ability to discuss drugs without feeling fake, to challenge without confronting, and to boast without insulting.

My Favs
3. Nostalgia
2. On the Boards
1. King Push 
Overall Rating: 86 with a recommendation to Buy
 King Push- This song does everything right. It has a beat that’s guaranteed to make you hype and excited for the rest of the album. He compares himself to various people, but then reminds the audience that the comparison is not quite right because…. he’s King Push. He takes shots about various tropes in rap with good lyrics. Then takes aim at specific individuals, but not as inflammatorily as Kendrick Lamar (in Big Sean’s Control). This song takes them on, but does not insult. Because of this, he maintains an air of someone that is supremely confident in his abilities. 5/5
On the Boards- I tried to resist, but this song is amazing. The beat is simple yet effective. It’s the type of song to blast in a car. Pusha T’s lyrics on this match the quality of the beat. Line after line of lyrical genius 5/5
Sweet Serenade- I was afraid this song would end poorly because the combination of Chris Brown and Pusha T seemed too extreme to work. I was wrong. Chris Brown shines in the chorus while Pusha controls the verses.  I love Pusha’s version of boasting because he doesn’t call out names to do it. 4/5
Hold On- He knows that he was able to escape an untimely end because he mastered the pen, but he realizes that he’s lucky. After boasting in typical Ross fashion, he moves to deeper topics of struggle and a need to band together, and the elimination of hatred in young men. I was surprised by this uncharacteristically serious verse from Ross, but was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. 4/5
Suicide- The hook is weak, but verses are solid 3/5
40 Acres- Another odd pairing that works better than expected. He uses the same formula he applied for Sweet Serenade. One of the more serious tracks. The title references 40 acres and a mule. A concept that stated every man had a right to 40 acres and mule for settling land. African Americans thought it would allow them to own land, but it did not. So, the title signifies Pusha’s will to take what is owed to him, with force, if necessary. Some of the stories discussed in his verses reinforce this belief. It’s interesting how Pusha T can illicit different emotions without changing his tone of voice. The audience can tell he’s exasperated, but he delivers his verses in calm manner. 4.5-5/5  
No Regrets- Strong beat accompanied by strong lyrics. This song recognizes that no one can change the past. Fretting about it is a waste of time but it’s much more beneficial to learn from the past and let those realizations fuel future decisions.  4/5
Let Me Love- Am I the only one that thinks he sounds like Mase (Tell Me What You Want) in this song? I swear he’s doing it purposely. 3/5
Who Am I- I think this a guilty pleasure. Big Sean’s lyrics are funny and 2 Chains is a welcome edition, even if I laugh at his rachetness.  4/5
Nostalgia- I don’t like Kendrick Lamar as much as most people, but his verse in this song fits the album well. His bars if read on the surface are fine, but if scrutinized are exceedingly clever. 5/5
Pain- King Push starts firing hot bars and refuses to slow down. Future is in this one too, but I was too focused on Push to care. 4/5

S.N.I.T.C.H.- The title of this song is clever enough to garner 4 stars. It’s an abbreviation of Sorry N**** I’m Trying to Come Home. Which obviously also spells snitch. The whole song is about people talking to the police (snitching) about the criminal activity of their partners. Pharrell chimes in for the chorus and sings about the motivations of people that snitch. Throughout the song theirs is an underlying theme of disloyalty. It’s a clever structure for a song and a worthy candidate to end the album.   4.5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment