Saturday, June 21, 2014

Ledisi- The Truth (2014)


Why did I review the album?  Trying something new
Did I like it? Not Really
Will I listen again?  Nope
I listened to this because Ledisi has done work with artists that I like and I always appreciated her contribution to the songs. So I thought I’d listen to her solo work.  
Her vocal range is questionable. Whenever she hits the higher notes her voice suffers noticeably
Of all the songs on the album only one has content.
The album doesn’t perform any aspect poorly, but it doesn’t try anything noteworthy either. It’s a perfectly average album.
If you are looking for new artist to listen to, then maybe you should give this one a listen, but if you skipped this album I don’t think you’re missing anything.
My Favs
3. 88 Boxes
2.  Lose Control
1. Can’t Help Who You Love
Overall Rating: 57 with a recommendation to Neutral

I Blame You- I like the feel of this song. It has an old school sound that I really appreciated. Top that with a chill atmosphere and it’s a solid start to the album. 3/5
Rock With You-Another song that has a funky, old school kick to it. 3/5
That Good Good- As soon as I heard the beginning, I thought I was going to hate this song. She does some sing-talking in the beginning that made me cringe. It sounds bad on its own, but when it’s placed next to her actually singing, it makes the sing-talking even worse. It kind of reminds me of Mine  when Drake would come in and disappear. But, he stayed long enough for me to notice his presence, but not long enough to contribute anything meaningful. In fact, it’s only meaningful contribution was to break the flow of the song (and infuriate me). I had the same experience with this one.
To be fair, when she’s not sing talking, the song is actually quite enjoyable. The music is a lot freer and I can tell she enjoyed making this record.
There’s a section where she stops singing, but the beat continues to play. This was risky, but I liked it. As a singer her main selling point is her voice, so to shy away from that in favor of orchestral sounds is risky.
Also, I’ll commend it for experimentation, even if some of it rubbed me the wrong way. 3/5
Lose Control-  When I picked this CD, this is what I imagined I was bargaining for. This is typical 90’s sounding R&B. 4/5
Like This- When she’s singing conventionally, I really like the song. But, she isn’t doing that for the whole song. When she doesn’t, it sounds really choppy and loses the flow that she consistently keeps in the latter stages of the song. 3/5
Anything- The best part of this song is the electric guitar. The production of the track is good as well. However, he voice did not sound very good during the higher notes. 3/5  
The Truth- This song perfectly fits my fits my feelings toward this whole album. It doesn’t do anything terribly wrong, but it’s perfectly average without any interesting points. 3/5
Missy Doubt-This one has a fun atmosphere. It’s danceable and a possible single. 3/5
88 Boxes-I like this one because it is a deviation from the rest of the album. This album is very concerned with remaining upbeat and positive, but this one takes the opposite tactic. An ominous vibe exists that lets you know the song will not be a happy one. Similar to So Gone on Love in the Future. 3.5/5
Can’t Help Who You Love-  If I were to suggest listening to one song from the album it would definitely be this one. It’s a simple beat that’s chill. At times is reminiscent of old school beats.
This is also the only song that has any content.

Add the pretty beat switch towards the end, and it’s easily the best song on the album.  4/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment