Thursday, June 26, 2014

Ed Sheeran- X Deluxe Edition (2014)

Why did I review the album?  My sister sent me the song “I See Fire” about a month ago and I loved it so much I listened to both + and X
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again? I already have
Everyone keeps classifying this album as a pop album, and sure some of the lyrics are “poppy”, but it’s a mistake to consider this a pop album. The only reason I would consider this a pop album is due to his rise in popularity. That is a different type of pop than the way he is categorized.
There is a definite urban influence that infects this album, which may hint at his musical direction in subsequent works.
 There are SO MANY different sounds on this album. He features typical Ed Sheeran sounds (One), then displays his vocal range on tracks “I See Fire & “Thinking Out Loud” and adds a urban kick to “Runaway” and “The Man” and raps for the entirety of “Take it Back”.  
The only thing that gave me pause is his interest in rapping on several tracks. I like artist that choose to experiment, but he doesn’t have nice flow and his rap isn’t (for me) enjoyable to listen to. The first time I listened to the album it drove me insane. With subsequent listens, I have to admit that most of his raps do provide a lot of content which makes it bearable. If you can handle his rapping, the album is definitely worth a buy.
This album displays further variety that Sheeran has to offer as well as his willingness to experiment with his own sound.  
I don’t think Ed Sheeran has reached his full potential, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

My Favs
3. I See Fire
2.  Thinking Out Loud
1. Even My Dad Does Sometimes
Overall Rating: 80 with a recommendation to Listen then Decide

One- This is trademark Ed Sheeran. Simple beat, meaningful lyrics and his usual soft touch. 4/5
I’m a Mess- This on is a bit more edgy and fast paced. He does a lot of experimentation in this song and it melted together beautifully 4/5
Sing- I’m not a fan of Ed’s rapping, to me it’s the same feeling I get when Drake sings; I don’t hate it, but it’s not that good either. As much as I want to hate this song, I don’t. When he sings the chorus he reminds me of Robin Thicke, and channels Justin Timberlake from the 3:00 mark would make. Couple those two together and there’s no way I could hate this song, even if I view this song as the popification of Ed Sheeran. 3/5
Don’t- More rapping from Sheeran. Add pop lyrics and I’m destined to hate this song. Well, not exactly. The beat is a funky urban sound that kept me from hating this one. 2.5/5
Nina- He does more rapping with this one, but he handles it better with this track. He sings the chorus, but raps during the verses. This way people that like his singing are satisfied, but he also gets to experiment with rapping (and pleases those that like his rapping). The raps have content, so even if I don’t like it, I have to admit it’s a different way to deliver a message. 3.5/5
Photograph-There are some interesting content here. He’s reliving his love for this woman through the memories that the photograph brings to mind. Also a photograph stops time for exactly one moment. So, no matter how the relationship ends he can look at that picture and remember a time where everything was perfect. And that way this girl’s effect on him will never disappear. It’s a beautiful song that’s heartfelt and emotion laced. Remember when I criticized Love, Marriage & Divorce for it’s lack of emotional investment? This is what I wanted. 4/5
Bloodstream- The magic of this song is the range of emotions he expresses in five minutes. Anger desperation, sadness, momentary arrogance. It works because many people can relate to this. Also, he does it without much tonal change which is impressive 4/5
Tenerife Sea- Sheeran takes a moment to describe his lady to the audience. While he does this he manages to tell her why he loves her at the same time. It’s similar to All of Me, but somehow more real. Does anyone know the name of the instrument at 3:30? It’s beautiful. 4/5
RunawayEd opens up about running away from home at 16 due to familial issues. Despite all the content and funky beats it still seems like it’s missing something. 3.5/5
The Man- I love this beat. It doesn’t scream sadness, but it manages to ooze melancholy. The audience doesn’t know what’s to come, but we know it won’t be happy.
He decides to rap again and I don’t like the sound. However the rapping does accomplish one thing
. Because of the scornful nature of the lyrics and delivery, it matches the edginess created by the beat.
The guitar solo was unexpected, but nice to hear
Thinking Out Loud- If I had the standard edition of the album, this would be my favorite song. If someone bet me money, I wouldn’t have known Ed Sheeran sang this song. It’s a beautiful song the oozes old-school. Usually when I say old school I’m referring to the early 90’s and late 80’s (or 70’s if it’s disco), but this one would fit in with the slow music from the fifties and sixties.  I like this one because it’s extremely different than his traditional love songs. First, the way he chooses to deliver the song is new. His natural singing style is soft and tender, but in this he displays a powerful voice that I didn’t realize he had.  Of all the songs on X, this is the most R&B-like song he’s made. Add a guitar solo and some perfectly timed “oohhs” to smoothen out the power Sheeeran displays and we have a perfect song. 5/5
Afire Love- There are a lot of moving parts to this song, but they work well when meshed together. It’s typical Ed Sheeran, great sound, emotionally charged lyrics fueled by life experience. With this one we get to see the effect that illness has on his grandfather’s loved ones. But to avoid making the song overly depressing, he includes the parts of his grandfather’s life that he is too young. It’s interesting because he’s able to experience meeting his grandfather through the stories of those that have interacted with him. Even though it’s a bit sad, I see this song as a tribute to his grandfather. 5/5  
Take it Back- Ed decides to rap again, but I still managed to like the song. There is an urban feel to it that salvaged this one. And, he manages to poke fun at himself by saying that someone has to win worst dressed. 3/5
Shirtsleeves- The relationship has failed and Ed has to deal with the repercussions. He makes an interesting metaphor to marine life by capering his relationship to a sinking boat. He creates further references by saying he’s the captain of a sinking boat. Despite all that, it still felt a bit underachieving.  3/5
Even My Dad Does Sometimes- This song seriously reminds me of The Fray would make. It’s similar to Vienna and Enough for Now.  Their songs (and Sheeran’s) have an ability to maintain the right amount of melancholy and manage to be beautiful at the same time.  In this song, he’s trying to convince someone to live another day, even though s/he does not want to. The lyrics that open the song demonstrate how hopeless the situation is for both parties. Is it selfish for Sheeran to ask someone that does not want to live to continue for his sake? Is it right for that person to throw away the only life he has? Those are some of the ideas I pondered while listening to this beauty. More than anything, this song served as a reminder of the impact our decisions have on those around us.  5/5

I See Fire- Like its predecessor Thinking Out Loud, Sheeran deviates from his wheelhouse to deliver another gem. With this one Sheeran has to use all the ranges in his voice to elicit the right feeling and response from the audience. It’s chilling and somber, but oddly still manages to tie in themes of brotherhood, culture, and family. The choir comes in at the right moments to add suspense and aid Sheeran. 5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment