Thursday, May 22, 2014

Big K.R.I.T. - The Vent



I’ve known about Big K.R.I.T. for a while because he’s featured on tracks for artist that I like, but this is the first time I’ve listened to an exclusively K.R.I.T. track.
I’m glad I chose this song to listen to because it was worth every second of my time. Part of the reason I hadn’t looked into his music before is that I thought he was a stereotypical rapper (he may still be, but I’ll hold off judgment until I listen to more of his work). The important thing is that he isn’t during this track.
The beat is a perfect fit for this track because it’s simple, but still manages to add to the atmosphere his lyrics create. Its simple beat also forced me to listen to the lyrics which is good because that is the selling point of this song.
I love this song because it lets go of the pretense that many rappers use in song and displays a thoughtful K.R.I.T. That works to the songs advantage because it humanizes K.R.I.T. and makes you believe that he is truthfully pondering the situations he discusses in the song. So whether he is angry, sad, or lost in the song, the audience empathizes with him
Normally a song this deep earns a 5 star rating, but this one doesn’t. A few of the lines felt a bit forced as though he was trying to make the lyrics deep (i.e.  I’ve never seen a star in a red rug, if I want to see a star I just look above). There is one other instance of this in the song. So, I couldn’t give it a 5, but I HIGHLY recommend it. 4.5/5

What is he doing now?

He is working on his second studio album Cadillactica that will be released sometime in 2014. He has released the first single for the album which is called Mt. Olympus. Production for the album will include Jim Jonsin, Rico Love, and DJ Toomp.

0 comments:

Post a Comment