Sunday, March 29, 2015

Drake- If You're Reading This It's Too Late (2015)

Why did I review the album?  Was working on another album review when I found out this came out and immediately listened
Did I like it? No
Will I listen again? To select songs
I don’t like this album which shouldn’t be a surprise if you’ve read any of my previous rap album reviews. It’s an album full of chopped rapping that I’m not a fan of. The only exceptions are the last three tracks. So I’ll sum up my review of the first 14 tracks like this: Given my preferences, I was never going to like this offering. It’s a shame too because some of the songs has some potentially great content, but I was so distracted by the delivery that I couldn’t get as invested as I wanted to. As I review this album though I’d be remiss not to bring up one last point. During the song From Time Drake talks about doing something more with music. i.e. “ I want to take it deeper than money, P****, vacation.” I inferred from that line that he’d like to experiment and see how much further he can push himself and the music industry. This album is an exercise of that wish.
I feel the same way about this album as I did with Jay-Z’s Magna Carta… Holy Grail. There is a trend in the industry and rather than be swept away by sticking to norms, they agree to adapt and change.  As a person that asks artist to experiment, I can’t penalize him completely when he tries. I don’t like it, but I do understand why it was done and contend that it does hold some value.
My Favs
3. 6PM in New York
2.  Jungle
1.  You & the 6

Overall Rating: 1.5 of 5 spins


 You & the 6- This is the song that made wading through the first 14 tracks (and this whole album) worth it for me. Now I’m going to admit that I may be overrating this song because everything before it was painful to listen to, but I don’t think I am.
First off, on a comical note, I find it hilarious that he decides for her that the trainer wouldn’t appreciate Drake’s lifestyle. He gives her the classic it’s not you, it’s me excuse. If I were a woman I’d be seriously annoyed.
What I love most about this song is that it’s real. He drops all the pretense that rappers often use and has a thoughtful heart to heart with his mother concerning certain matters.  He gives his mom props for being a guiding light in his life.  
I love the parts about his father. This part reminded me that despite the ridiculously stupid things he sometimes does, he does take some things very seriously. I have to give him props here. A lot of his raps have to do with his father due to their relationship. It takes a lot for someone to forgive someone for a past wrong. And it’s clear he’s forgiven his father. He even asks his mother to rekindle her relationship with him. To appeal to her, he alludes to the fact that without his father (and his friends influence) he may not be the rapper he is today. Essentially he wouldn’t be successful without him. That’s a strong bargaining tool considering that the most important thing to her is probably Drake. It’s fascinating how far he is willing to go in order to repair his father’s lost/broken bonds.
It’s been a while since I loved an album/mixtape Drake has made, but I always listen because I know that when he’s serious he can make beautiful music. And at least once per album he reminds me that he’s still got it. And, on this album, this is that song.
Drake has many great songs, but this is one of the best.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment