Sunday, May 4, 2014

Justin Timberlake- 20/20 Experience Pt. 2 (2013)

Why did I review the album?  We all know about my JT obsession
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again?  To some tracks
After six years and two albums of Timberland influenced beats, I was hoping for JT to move in another direction. Not that his current style is bad, but he’s proven that he can make great music when collaborating with Timberland. So I wanted him to move to the next chapter in his career. This album is less Timberland influenced than anything he’s done in a while. It’s still there, especially in the beginning, but JT definitely distanced himself from Timberland more than usual. I’m curious how far he drift from Timberland in his next project.
This album is very much a timeline though JT career. There are some flashes of Justified (You Got it On & Pair of Wings) and something that might have found itself on FSLS (Cabaret). But there are hints at some new twists he might try in the future (Take Back the Night & Only When I Walk Away).

My Favs
3. Amnesia
2. Take Back the Night
1. You Got it On
Overall Rating: 75 with a recommendation to listen then decide
Give Me What I Don’t Know (I Want)-  I always have trouble liking songs like this. It tries to make sex into something primal and animalistic. And, I agree with that, we’ve been having sex for thousands of years. The problem is, these songs also try to make sex “dirty” and “wrong” and that’s what I have an issue with. Others that believe that this is just a fun lighthearted song will like this song far more than I. I do like the mixing of a lot of different sounds in this song. 2.5/5
True Blood-  There are a lot of references to wolves and/or vampires in this track. It describes a couple’s attraction to one another through the lens of a vampire.  The sound and lyrics support the title. I felt a Thriller type vibe from this, but it’s a lot more easygoing than Thriller. 3.5/5
Cabaret- For those that do not know (because I did not) cabaret is entertainment carried out in a restaurant or nightclub where the audience is allowed to eat or drink. I like this song because it’s smooth and chill but still manages to have an edge. Drake’s verse was fine considering the song. His flow was in top form and loved listening to it. He even managed to integrate his singing without disrupting the flow of the song. 4/5
TKO- I wanted this song to be witty or toy with the sound to make up for the straightforward and literal lyrics, but it didn’t. It’s not a bad song, but it is disappointingly average. 2.5/5
Take Back the Night- I’m pretty sure True Blood was an homage to Thriller, but this is clearly a tribute to MJ. I loved every minute of it. It’s carefree, trades his trademark Timerland sound for a conventional beat and repeats everything that I loved about Senorita.  5/5
Murder- I have the same issue with this song as I did with TKO.  I have to admit, I preferred Jay-Z on this track more than JT. Despite its relatively modest five minute length, the song is still two minutes too long. 3/5
Drink You Away- JT tries to drink his way through his past relationship. It sounds ridiculous, but it’s actually a fun ride.  4/5
You Got it On- This song would fit perfectly with the content on Justified. But, at the same time it wouldn’t; it’s too polished. I originally positioned Take Back the Night in my #1 spot, but this is too pretty. The beat is soft and smooth, and JT adjusts his delivery accordingly to match the smoothness of the beat. The solo at the end was delightful.  The lyrics are great too. He’s building up his woman while he’s telling her what makes her special to him. At the same time he’s also seducing/sweet-talking her. It’s lyrical gold. The definition of “grown folk” music. One of my favorite JT songs ever. 5/5
Amnesia- Uses amnesia to describe his relationship with a past lover. It reminds me of Cry Me A River, but it’s not as harsh and cold. In Cry Me a River JT revels in his harshness whereas he is angry and drained in this version. The second half features a beatswitch and JT tone changes. He wants her in his life again. He realizes that they’ll fight and drive each insane, but he still wants her despite all the pain she’s caused. Through it all they know they love each other. Amnesia in this case has a different meaning. In the first half he’s so scarred by the relationship he wants to forget about it completely as if it never happened (i.e. amnesia). Now that he’s realized his error he wants to forget the hurtful things he said to/about her (i.e. amnesia)   5/5
Only When I Walk Away- I wasn’t sure what to think of this song at first, but I like it. The content and lyrics aren’t that interesting, but he took some risks with the sound that work. He’s incorporated a choir for the first time since Losing My Way. Also he’s featured an electric guitar in his music for the first time. I wasn’t expecting the change in sound, but I did enjoy it. 4/5
Not a Bad Thing- A nice song to end the album with. It’s a happy feel-good song. The second half is a hidden track called Pair of Wings. I love this because it’s stripped of all the extra parts and only keeps the essentials. Since the beat only relies on the guitar his voice and lyrics take center stage. This song had the potential to be extremely “sappy” but somehow managed to escape the trap.

The first song earns a 3.5 while the second earns a 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment