Monday, February 17, 2014

Justin Timberlake- Justified (2002)

Why did I review this album? I've had this album for like 6-8 months and I was tired of looking at it, so... here it goes
Did I like this album? Yes

Will I listen again? Already have

 I didn't know what to expect from this because I knew it was his first album and would be completely different from the 20/20 experience albums. 
Well... I LOVE this. I have to say though, if I had listened to this at the time it came out I may not love this album as much as I do. This album is like an in between. It has remnants of 90's R&B but it also has flashes of the new direction that music was going in the early 2000's. Since its 2014 I could actually appreciate this where I may not have in 03. That mix of R&B and early 2000's vibe give the album variety that you do not usually see in debut albums and JT executes them all very well. Also because I haven't heard most of these songs in six or seven years they essentially had the feeling of a new song, so I didn't have the antipathy that I normally do towards singles. 
If there is one thing wrong with the album, it’s the track listing. The three singles are in the first four songs. If he spread them out it would have been better because instead of having two average songs (10 & 11) you can spread it so that it doesn't make the album seem top heavy. It's not, but when you place the only two average songs next to great songs it certainty feels that way. 
For a first album he seems really comfortable with his style. Most people are still experimenting with it the first time, but he's not like that. He knows what he likes to do and is comfortable enough to tweak it and take risks with it. 
If anyone knows the reason that singles appear in the first half of albums (almost exclusively) let me know. Is it something I’m imagining or is there an actual reason?
The slower tracks may scare away some listeners, but there are enough upbeat tracks to give the album balance.
Most people say FutureSex/Love Sounds is his best album and it may be, but it’s going to be hard to top this one.

My Favs
3. Like I Love You
2. Never Again
1.Senorita
Overall Score: 90 with a Buy recommendation


Senorita- This song takes so many chances that all work. First off, any song with saxophones reminds me of jazz and that’s always a plus. Then the beat switches and it does it so quickly it’s unexpected but the soothing beat behind it makes me love it. It starts of normally then breaks off the format and almost sounds like a concert or a comedy standup. It's like a planned freestyle where he's not even singing. To have two minutes of that takes a lot of stones and only an artist that likes to experiment and is confident would do something that daring ....Also is that Pharell in the beginning?
Like I Love You- Justin shows off his range in this song. He sings at different octaves. To give the song more depth, the Clipse are introduced for a quick solid verse. The first beatswitch is smooth am relaxing and JT’s voice adds to that atmosphere. The second one is a bit abrupt, but a welcomed edition to the song. The guitar used must be a specialized type because it sound a bit different from ones I’ve head in the past. But its use gives the song an exotic feel. A lot of moving parts in this song, but they all complement one another. 5/5
Oh No- The problem with delivering consistently solid content is that average song seem that much worse. The beat is nice, but the lyrics are standard fare 3/5
Take it From Here- Brings back flashes of 90’s R&B 4/5
Cry Me a River- Chronicles the confrontation of a scarred man with his unfaithful ex. essentially, a story of karma. It’s interesting that the man was the victim of the infidelity, it’s usually the woman. The fact that he’s so unforgiving sets this song apart from others Usually he’d go back to her, but this song makes clear he has no intention of rekindling the lost flame. He almost revels in his harshness and takes advantage of his chance to scar her as badly she did him. 5/5
Rock Your Body- JT is trying to catch an attractive girl’s attention, but isn’t getting the results he wants. As he dances with her, he tells her the expectations for the night and flirts with her to loosen her inhibitions. Eventually he does get her attention (of course). The beatswitch is short, but appreciated. The title is clever because he wants to dance with her, but he also wants to do a bit more, so it has a double meaning. 5/5
Nothin Else- Another 90’s R&B throwback. Chill and soothing. The electronic element induced works here because it doesn’t become the main focus. It’s subtly thrown in and makes reappearances throughout. 4/5
Last Night- Really appreciated the attempt to bridge rap and R&B here. Also, both beatswitches are lovely 4/5                                                                         .
Still on My Brain- 90’s throwback and a pretty one. 4/5
And She Said- An average song. I didn’t like Timberland in this song and the lyrics are base. It’s a party song, but I don’t particularly like them. Still, it serves its purpose. 3/5
Right for Me- This song didn’t grab me. I was bored. Not sure what that instrument is towards the end but I loved it and it saved this song. 3/5
Let’s Take a Ride- Song about a man investing time with his woman. It’s a welcomed change to the usual narrative. The beatswitch was so smooth I almost missed it 4/5

Never Again- This is the type of ballad type song that I could see Boys II Men performing. But he doesn't belt like Boys II Men does, if anything he holds back to match the temperament of the song created by the instruments. Both elements combine to create a pretty track, even if it’s a bit melancholy.5/5
Originally reviewed February 1, 2014 

0 comments:

Post a Comment