Monday, February 24, 2014

Beyonce- Beyonce (2013)


Why did I review the album? I didn't even know about it until my sister sent me an email about it. I promised her I would review it
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again? I already have… about 30 times

I don't expect any of you to like it as much as I did, but at least I could explain why I loved it. For years I stayed away from Beyoncé because I felt like she wasted her talent with a lot of songs that didn't showcase her voice, but instead relied on catchiness and hype that would ensure radio play (but I never listened to her albums so I’m not quite being fair). This one finally gave me what I have been begging for. Every time I listen I notice something new and find something else to like. I gave out 5 stars like candy. I haven't given out this many 5star ratings since Macklemore’s The Heist and The Fray's How to Save a Life. It’s an album that explores her vision and what is important to her. That’s important because the best music is created (usually) when an artist is emotionally tied to the work. If this is an indication of Beyoncé's capabilities when no one is screaming in her ear to make a certain type of song, I’ll support her because she's proven that she won’t disappoint. The album nailed her range as a vocalist, while toying with beats to keep each song fresh and original. The topics covered on the album are diverse. One song details her love for Jay, while another forces her to confront her own insecurities, to another that cites the hypocrisy in the world, and even includes a redefining of death. The albums mission is vast but it handles them masterfully. Beyoncé’s Beyoncé is my favorite album of 2013.

My Favs
3. Blue
2. Rocket
1. Heaven
Overall Rating: 93  with a Classic recommendation  


Pretty Hurts- It seems like every artist makes a song like this at least once. Yet people still struggle to find peace with themselves, so it still needs to be done. And to her credit the song does seem genuine and I’ll never bash a song that has a positive message. A strong start to the album 4.5/5 stars
Haunted- The first half of this song is nice. I like that she vests her frustration at record labels and says that she would never do a job if it didn't make her happy. But that soul not for sale line was extremely disingenuous, but then she switches up the beat and I’m in love. The beat in the second half is never steady and normally that would bother me, but it didn't disrupt the flow of the song. If anything it added to it so it worked. It was really cool to hear her voice on so many different beats in one song 4.5/5
Drunk in Love-This song was built to be good until she repeatedly tried to ruin it. Let’s be honest I don’t love her much as a rapper and Jay-Z’s verse annoyed me. I find it very hypocritical that he could make light of spousal abuse when he tried to end Chris Brown’s career for doing the same thing to Rihanna. Also, to make light of Tina Turner’s experience is quite rude. I know it was supposed to be funny, and he probably doesn’t condone spousal abuse, that doesn’t mean he should say it.  Despite all that it’s not a bad song. I like the beat and when she' not rapping its very good.  3.5/5stars 
Blow- Once I heard the beat I knew I’d love the song. It’s so old school sounding (like 70's). It’s really cool because this song makes me want to dance, but it doesn't have to be loud and obnoxious in order to do it. And the dancy beat hides the incredibly sexual content of the song. I had to listen to it twice before I realized it. Pink is the flavor…solve the riddle! Hilarious and genius at the same time. It works because a younger person might not get the reference, but a worldly listener will understand. And, it gives a fairly straightforward song a bit of complexity and allows her to reference a sexual subject with class. 5/5 stars
No Angel- I don't know if there is a name for the way she was singing in the beginning but i love it. And i love the way she said that I’m not the angel that everyone thinks and i'm ok with that. I don’t think this is why she wrote the song but it got me thinking about how public figured are forced to be portrayed as perfect people even though they are humans just like us. Since the lyrics of the song are sexual i don't think that's what it was aiming for but my mind drifted in that direction. I like how she says that I’m trouble and you know that you are too and you like it. Because I think everyone likes a little bit of trouble. Not so much that it becomes a headache, but enough to make life interesting. And it goes back to what i said about people not being perfect and saying that that is ok. In a world where companies are trying to tell us we can be perfect it’s refreshing to hear someone say I’m not perfect and I’m cool with that. 4/5 stars
Partition- Her rapping in the beginning was kind of fun because I actually understood it and some of the lines were kind of funny. The first beat switch is great. The beat that it goes back to for the hook coupled with the way she sings is AMAZING by far my favorite part of the song. The side story about the sexual tension between her and Jay was entertaining 4/5 stars
Jealous- I like the struggle apparent in this song between whether she should leave or stay with her man. She knows that if she where to leave she'd get another dude quick despite all the talk about leaving the chorus reminds us that if you do your part i would have to get this far. 4/5 stars 
 Rocket-My favorite song the second time I listened to this. As soon as she said let me sit this ass on it she had my attention. The sexual innuendo and metaphors push this song past regular love songs. 5/5 stars 
Mine- I like this song every time drake is not in it. The way he was used made his presence unnecessary. He comes in for 20 second spurts and then disappears only to reappear again for another 20 sec. He's in the song long enough for you to notice, but not long enough to have a positive impact on the song. Which led me to ask why he was included. He has a quick verse that I like, but the second one is subpar. But the all the 5's need to listen when a 10 is talking line is rude, but funny. And this is different from Jay because he’s not referencing anyone in particular. Still the parts without him are great. 3.5/5 stars
XO-I don't know why but this reminds me of something Alicia Keys would do. It’s a beautiful song. The choir really works in the song because neither it nor Beyoncé try to outshine the other. She restrains her voice to compliment the choir and the choir has enough voice to let you know it’s there, but doesn't overpower her either. They work together well and it makes for a beautiful song. The message about enjoying the people that are most important in your life elevate the song above others on the album. 5/5 stars
Flawless- I love this song solely because it’s so unforgiving. It pulls punches and doesn't apologize for it. I don't know who made her angry, but more people need to do it if this is the result. After she's done letting off steam it turns into a feminist song that talks about the contradictions in the world, all the points I agree with. The commentary in the middle of the song was risky but works. It works because it’s quick, and doesn’t condemn. The rest of the song shows Beyoncé’s confidence without even consulting the man which is a subtle way to reinforce the commentary. 5/5 stars   
Superpower- Not much to say about this. It’s a solid song with no major flaws. It’s interesting to hear Beyoncé’s voice alongside Frank Ocean's. Very different, but still worked well enough.3/5
Heaven- This was my favorite song the first time I listened to the album. The structure of the song is very simple and it allows her to showcase her voice and when it’s accompanied with a simple piano melody it’s wonderful. And the content is amazing. It’s a spin on the normal view of death that we have in America. Instead of seeing death as a loss she flips it on its head and says that you are such a beautiful spirit/person that heaven couldn't stand NOT to have you any longer. Beautiful message delivered by a beautiful voice 5/5 stars
Blue- My favorite song the third time I listened to this album. This song is beautiful too, but not in the same way as Heaven. The song is just pretty, whereas the beauty of heaven in largely due to the message and delivery. Everything about this song is so laid back, the beat is nice but not overbearing and Beyoncé matches the beat perfectly. And I have to say, I don't normally think things are cute because people try to MAKE them cute (like the commercials with the little kids/ faster is better commercial) but the ending was kind of cute because it wasn't trying to be cute, it just was. 5/5 stars

Originally Reviewed December 27, 2013

0 comments:

Post a Comment