Monday, February 17, 2014

Justin Timberlake- Future Sex Love Sounds (2006)


Why did I review the album? Justified impressed me, so I decided to try this one
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again? Yes
My experience with this album is a bit odd. The only way I can explain it is by comparing J. Cole mixtapes. I had a conversation with my sister about her favorite J.Cole album/mixtape (we are both avid J. Cole fans). I said Warm Up, but she believed Friday Night Lights is superior (I now believe FNL is better). At the time the reason why I believed that is because The Warm Up had eight 5 star songs on it and the rest of the songs were good to very good. On FNL there were only 3 five star songs but another eleven received 4 stars. So while both are great and Warm up had many that I consider all-time favorites I respect the solidity of FNL more.
So in this case Justified is FNL and FSLS is the Warm up 
                                                                                                                                                   Justified                                                                  FSLS
5 stars awarded   5                                          5 stars awarded     7
4 stars awarded   5                                          4 stars awarded     2
3 stars awarded   3                                          3 stats awarded     4

The album covers all bases. From fun songs like SexyBack and Pose to serious cuts like Until the End of Time and Lost My Way. A few features to keep the sound fresh, but hosts plenty solo efforts to remind everyone JT can entertain on his own.The subject matter varies from eternal love and betrayal to drug addiction and a search for God. There's something in here for everyone.
Overall Score: 90, with a Buy recommendation 

Future Sex/Love Sound- wasted potential 2.5-3 stars
Sexy Back- When I was growing up I HATED this song. Honestly I have no idea why. I love this song because they're having so much fun while making this song. You can almost hear them laughing while they're performing this. I have a feeling that performing Blurred lines must have been like this for Rob. Thicke Its fun but not stupid 5/5 
Sexy Ladies- meh 3/5
My Love- One of my favorite singers and (at the time) my favorite rapper... enough said 4/5
Love Stoned- A long song done right. And that ending! i love how it was all instruments and it sounded great. The only song to do that better is Without You (Jagged Edge).. And the buildup to the beatswitch was amazing. The way the instruments would fade out and come back in like the foundation of the song was breaking was cool as hell and made it unique from all the other beatswiches. One of my favorite JT songs ever 5/5
What goes Around- Turning a popular phrase into a song and giving it a full story and telling it in seven minutes. Genius. Then it get choir-ee at the end nice touch THIS is the type of creativity you need to sustain a song of this length
 Chop Me Up- I really wanted to like this song because I like Three 6 mafia but the two just didn't find a groove 2.5/5. 
Damn Girl- Liked some parts of this song. Hated others. Will i am was kind of random but the good parts (the beat and the sax when he says damn girl) was good enough to salvage this one.  Kind of reminds me of something that would have been perfect for the Blurred lines album 3/5
Summer Love-  Love this song and love the way he used the second half to set the pace for the last part of the album 5/5
Until the End of Time- My favorite song on the album and my favorite JT  song of all time. Truly great song. And now that i do not hate her anymore it was also part of the reason i hated BeyoncĂ©. One reason was because she was always on the air but the other was her redoing of this song,. I felt JT did a marvelous job with this and then here came BeyoncĂ© to take the spotlight from JT and this song.  I resented her a lot for it, But, now I realize that she must have loved it so much that she had to try and do it.  That’s the best form of flattery for an artist. Someone is so touched by your rendition that they're inspired to create their own. And, in that weird way, her version is an ode to the greatness of the original 5/5
Losing my Way- I was blindsided by this. It’s probably the most serious song he's ever done and I didn't see it coming. I didn't like it as much as I should have because of it. But, after I recovered from it I was invited to a sad tale. The choir at the end brought in a gospel feel because well it’s a choir and also the subject matter of God, going to Hell, and the overarching story of a man losing track in life and trying to find redemption. All things that have a reference to Jesus or things that God is supposed to help with Great song 5/5
All at Once- The story of a man that lets go of all his sins and makes himself vulnerable. And because of that he's forced to refocus his priorities. 5/5
Pose- I was blindsided by this. The last three songs were really serious then he gives me this... I guess he wanted everyone to leave on a happy note. The lyrics were pretty funny and it performs its purpose 4/5

My faves
1.Until the End of Time
2.Love Stoned
3.Losing my Way

0 comments:

Post a Comment