Friday, March 21, 2014

Kanye West- Yeezus (2013)

Why did I review the album? Kanye has made three of my favorite albums (College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation)
Did I like it? No
Will I listen again?  No
I will not do a track by track analysis of albums I do not like because it is highly likely I’ll repeat myself multiple times which is waste of your time and mine. If the artist didn’t realize his/her error the first or second time, it’s highly unlikely s/he’ll change tactics on later tracks. Instead I'll review one track that i did like and one that I did not. The song that I like will suggest what the artist could have done to make the rest of the album stronger.The one that I did not like will serve as an example why I did not like the album.
I respect Kanye for experimenting with his music despite the possibility of failure. For that reason I will listen to every album he releases. That said, just because he creates something different doesn’t mean it works.
The biggest problem with this album is that it changes too much. On this album he changes the sound, flow and content. Almost like Kanye West created a new artist. There was too much change wrapped in one album and it destroyed any positive experience I could have with this album.  Experimentation with music works best when the artist changes one thing from his/her repertoire.  This formula works because it fosters innovation, but keeps enough features consistent to avoid alienating the audience. Even if the person does not like the element the artist changed, there is still enough of the original artist in the song that the person will still like the song. At worst, the person would notice the attempt to try something new and not like the song, but appreciate the effort.  
He definitely creates something new, but the question is, will you like it?
To test your affinity for this album I’d listen to Hell of a Life on Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The song captures the sound that permeates this album. If you can handle that song, this album might be worth listening to.
Just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean you won't like it.
I’d like to hear from people that did enjoy the album to find out why.
My Favs
3. Blood on the Leaves
2. I’m In It
1. Bound 2

Overall Rating: 50 with a Not For Me recommendation 

I'm in It- Kanye changed the sound, but keeps the other factors the same. I don't like the beat much, but everything else about the song is good. Even the extra sounds he adds serve a purpose. The moaning woman and the screaming I found obnoxious in "I Am a God" makes sense because he's "in it." His flow doesn't change and content has the same twinge of I can't believe he just said that and the humor that make Kanye one of a kind. Also the other man that appear on this track is also a welcomed change.He's out of control, but not incomprehensible. He fits the vibe of this album well. The song ended abruptly and made me wonder why Kanye decided to end it there because it seems incomplete 3.5/5




0 comments:

Post a Comment