Sunday, March 30, 2014

Daley- Days+Nights (2014)

Why did I review the album? My sister told me about Daley about a year ago, but I never took her advice and listened. Then I heard Those Who Wait and couldn’t get my hands on enough of Daley’s music.
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again?  I will revisit this albums many times

I’ve said many times that my favorite genre is 90’s R&B. But, as time passed people grew tired of R&B and rap (and pop) has taken its place. I believe the main reason for this is that R&B is traditionally slow and to some, a bit boring.
Well, Daley should change that perception with this album. It uses lively beats to speed the pace of the songs, but uses his delivery and voice to balance the fast pace, merging traditional 90’s R&B delivery with modern up- tempo beats that are prevalent today.
The album sports some variety as well. Its backbone deals in relationships, but also ponders what, if anything, can we do to help someone that cannot help themselves (She Fades). Alone Together changes the pace of the album.  
At 12 songs, it’s a bit shorter than I’d prefer, but what is provided is golden.
The crowning achievement of this album is its ability to use up-tempo beats and merge it with soulful singing and content.

My Favs
3. Blame the World
2. Time Travel
1. Alone Together
Overall Rating: 83 with a recommendation to Buy

Time Travel- This reminded me of something JT would do because it chooses and weird and different medium (time travel) to discuss a fairly simple topic (the dynamics of a relationship).  JT has done this with a lot of songs like Spaceship Coupe. The beat even sounds like something Timberland would make for JT. 4.5/5
Look Up- The beat for this song is really soothing and welcoming. I’ve tried to figure out what instruments make up the beat, but can’t quite figure out.  The song talks about the nonverbal of a relationship. In Daley’s case, he doesn’t even have to speak to his girl, their nonverbals and the things that are NOT said tell each person what is transpiring in the relationship. 4/5
Blame the World-I love how the beat sets the tone without Daley having to say a word. Right from the start the song has a foreboding and suspenseful aura. The song deals with karma and denial. The other partner blames the failure on everyone besides herself. I like the line where Daley says to blame the failure of the relationship on the people WE could not be. That acknowledges the fact that when relationships do not work, it is usually a failure of both parties. 4.5/5
Good News- I like this song, but something felt odd to me. I had to listen five times before I figured it out. The song is about someone that’s overwhelmed by life, but it’s so upbeat and happy. The lyrics don’t mesh with the beat and delivery. It sounds great, but on a critical level it doesn’t make sense to me. 3.5/5
Love + Affection- The other people involved in this song aren’t credited but I’d like to know who they are because they worked well with Daley on this track. The classic case of someone feeling safe /opening up to a certain person, but remaining closed to everyone else. It’s not original, but the other people in the song allow me to like this one more than I should. 4/5
Be- I went to Daley’s concert and this is what he had to say about the song:
“You know the person you know so well that you can get past all the bs. You do not have to say a word to them, but they still understand. That’s what this song represents.”
It’s ironic because I thought that was the meaning behind Look Up, but perhaps that wasn’t his intention.
If he didn’t say that I wouldn’t have guessed that was the meaning of the song, but I guess that’s the beauty of any art. It meaning isn’t definite, it changes with each person. For instance, when I hear this song I hear a story about a couple that is struggling to communicate with each other.
Apparently it’s one of Daley’s favorite songs because he had a shirt on that referenced the song (and he said it). I don’t see why. It’s not a bad song, but there are plenty of others I’d name before this one. 3.5/5
Alone Together- A nod to 90’s R&B. The song's title is an oxymoron that made me smile. I love this song because it’s such a contrast to the rest of the album. It’s the only song with a feature and it’s one of the only “slow song” on Days and Nights. And it shows the versatility of Daley. The rest of the album proves that he can make great music on his own, but this song displays how he can works with others. It’s also the only song where he takes a subordinate role. That’s not a bad thing, he holds his own with Marsha Ambrosius, but she definitely steals the show. My favorite duet of 2014. 5/5
Pass it On- Have love in your heart and let it infect those around you. I think he’s talking generally in the chorus, but it referring to a specific person in the verses because it adopts a personal nature in the verses. The song is infectious and puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it. Another possible single. 4/5
Broken-Probably the most radio friendly of all his songs and a wise choice for a single. Daley’s had his heart broken so many times he wondering if it’s worth it to make himself vulnerable one more time. It’s a story that has been touched upon by almost every artist in the past and this is Daley’s attempt.  3.5/5
She Fades- What can you do to help someone that is so confused that they cannot/refuse to help themselves? Can you do anything? 4/5
Love Somebody- A song that details the feeling of infatuation.    4/5
Days+Nights-If he decides to have a second single this will probably be the one he chooses. To me it’s a carbon copy of Broken in term of content. However I like the sound of this one a bit more All the instruments come together to form a strong and entertaining beat. Also the pace of this one is very fast. To accommodate Daley speeds up his delivery as well. Both sound and delivery come together well here to create a song that meshes well.  4/5 

0 comments:

Post a Comment