Saturday, March 8, 2014

JoJo- #LOVEJO (2014)

Why did I review the album? It’s not an album it’s an E.P, but I decided to break my own rules because I love her music
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again? Every day until her album is released
On February 14, 2014 JoJo officially released this EP as a thank you to her fans. Truthfully, there are other reasons for her to release the EP, but I don’t care. I’m just happy to hear my favorite singer releasing music. There are four tracks on #LOVEJO, an intro and three songs, all covers. For me, an effective cover
1.       Pays homage to the original
2.       The artist adds something new to make it his/her own
My favorite thing about the covers is the range of artist. She starts with Anita Baker, an R&B singer, then Phil Collins, a pop-rock artist, to Katherine Battle an opera singer. It’s an interesting group of artists and shows her knowledge (or at least the amount of music she’s exposed herself to).
If you do not know her music, I suggest giving her a try. This EP is a good indication of the music found on her mixtapes. Her albums are more pop influenced. I love her, and you may as well.
Best of luck to her and thank you for the free music.
My Favs
3. Take Me Home
2Glory
1. Caught Up In a Rapture
Overall Rating: N/A with a recommendation to GET IT NOW… IT’S FREE


Intro- I usually ignore intros because I consider them a waste of time and a way for people to add additional tracks to an album. But this one is different. My favorite sound in music is the saxophone. Second is an orchestra or string instrument. This intro used string instruments involved in the orchestra, so I was pleased. Also, it reminded me of anime OST because the beginning follows standard OST behavior. “Rest your head and close your eyes” is something that a parent would tell a child that has had a nightmare. If you are aware of her story, the ordeals she had to endure with her old label were essentially a nightmare. And it may reference the fact that she has released anything officially in two years. “When you wake with the sweet sunrise, it’ll be a brand new day. Relax your body and let all of life’s worries melt away. For when you wake with the warm summer sun, it’ll be a brand new day.” Now that her troubles with the old label are behind her, it’s like a brand new day. She can start fresh in her music career. “Fall fast asleep and dream with me. Whisper I love you. I’m here to stay. For when we wake.” The child should go back to sleep. Since her shackles are released, her fans can join her as her career reignites. She thanks her fans for staying with her throughout the mess. Despite the trouble she will find a way to continue to sing because that is her passion.
It could be that the child also represents her fans.
The dreamlike quality of the song adds to the narrative and serves as a lead-in to the first song.5/5
Caught in the Rapture- It is a cover of an Anita Baker’s song of the same name. I listened to both songs and find that I enjoy JoJo’s version more. Both are 5-star songs, but JoJo’s kept my attention. I found Baker’s version a bit boring. She sang all 5+ minutes in the same tone, albeit a beautiful one. JoJo’s version is lyrically identical to Bakers, but differentiates itself with the change in beat.Despite changing the beat, her version still maintains the mellow 80’s sound of the original.  And the violin solo! Fantastic cover! 5/5
Take Me Home- A cover of Phil Collins’ Take Me Home. I listened to both and do not have a preference. Again she repeats the lyrics verbatim, but toys with the beat to add her personal touch. Also, when she sings, the lyrics reverberate as if she were in a stadium. It’s a small but noticeable innovation.  5/5
Glory- A cover of Kathleen Battle’s Oh Glory. I have to admit Battle’s version is better. The song receives 5 stars because it’s a beautiful song and she truly tried to give this rendition her best. I give her credit for trying something so ambitious. 5/5


0 comments:

Post a Comment