Monday, September 1, 2014

Common- Nobody's Smiling (2014)


Why did I review the album? I like Common
Did I like it? Indifferent
Will I listen again? No
This is the first time I’ve disliked an album without taking issue with the headlining artist. I take issue with the features on the album. Simply, they aren’t good rappers. Some needed to work on flow, others used chopped rapping which I am not a fan of. If there were only two or three features on this album, I wouldn’t mind, but there are several.   
Common’s formula hasn’t changed much. It works in fine form here. In my opinion it’s the features that destroy the album.
My Favs
3. Young Hearts Run Free
2.  Real
1. Rewind That
Overall Rating: 2/5 Spins
The Good 
Rewind That- Common wishes that he could fix some of the mistakes he’s made in life. In this song he focuses on some of his major regrets. It’s interesting because he never says he wished the situations never happened, only that he wished he could handle the situations differently. If he had said he wished they never happened, I’d take issue with his premise. Wishing things don’t happen would deny you of the experiences that shape you and make you unique. He doesn’t, which tells me he values those experiences, regardless of their unpleasantness 4.5/5
The Bad
Diamonds- Big Sean is always a tossup for me; sometimes I like his work, but at other points I want to tear my ears out. I’m not quite that annoyed with this offering, but it did annoy me. His approach during this song annoyed me. To make matters worse, he’s not saying much. So, he’s annoying to listen to and isn’t adding to the song, essentially a waste of my time. 2.5/5  
Other’s Thoughts
The album has received positive reviews on Amazon with an average of 4.4. 34 5-star reviews and 10 4-star reviews. My opinion is certainly not the majority. Even though I did not like it, doesn’t mean you’ll have the same reaction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment