Monday, September 8, 2014

50 Cent- Animal Ambition (2014)

Why did I review the album? It won the poll for August
Did I like it? No
Will I listen again? No
This album has no energy whatsoever. The end result is that he sounded extremely disinterested in the stories he was trying to tell. And, if he doesn’t care about the story, why should I?

I do like the beats on this album. Most of them are chill and toned down, an interesting choice for someone that is an extravagant lyricist. It’s a shame these beats are wasted on bad lyrics and horrifically bad delivery.
My Favs
3. Winning Circle
2. Hustler
1. Twisted
Overall Rating:  2/5 Spins
The Good 
Smoke- So here’s the thing, I don’t actually like this song, but I do like 50’s approach during this track. I complained that the album doesn’t have any energy, but this track is a rare exception.  In it he displays flow and energy that is missing from a majority of this album.
I still don’t like the song because the lyrics are basic, I don’t like the sound. The only thing that saves it from being horrible is 50’s flow. 2/5
The Bad
Hold On- I actually like this song more than most on the album, but it has one crippling flaw that I couldn’t ignore. No energy. He delivers the verses like a celebrity that’s paid to sponsor something. I couldn’t get into this song either. He opens the song bragging about how many women he has and that’s fine, but every rapper raps about that so I was immediately disinterested. Later on he tries to talk s*** using the same formula that made him famous. The difference is, this time I was so put off by his apparent disinterest in delivering the verses that when the song reached that point I could care less about who and what he was talking about
 I love the sound of this one, it chill and relaxing. It was almost great enough to change my opinion of this song, but in the end his apparent disinterest alienated me too much. 2.5/5
Other’s Thoughts

The album received a metacritic score of 53 which indicates mixed or average reviews. On Amazon the album has a rating of 4.0/5 with 28 5-star reviews and 16 4-star reviews. Even though I did not like it, doesn’t mean you will have the same reaction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment