Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sam Smith- In the Lonely Hour (2014)

Why did I review the album?  Was looking for a new artist
Did I like it? Yes
Will I listen again? Yes
Do I recommend? Yes  
This album started a bit wobbly for me, but by the end I was very happy I decided to take a chance on Sam Smith. My favorite thing about him is his ability to transition from the higher octaves to lower ones seamlessly without the song feeling disjointed.
For me, a first album is supposed to show the person’s skill and leave the audience believing there is room for growth in future work. This album did that for me. The writing for some of the songs (especially in the beginning) need more work, but his voice is definitely a solid one that I want to see evolve as his career progresses. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on his career.
My Favs
3. I’m Not the Only One
2.  I’ve Told You Now
1. Lay Me Down
Overall Rating:  3 out of 5 Spins  

Money on My Mind- This is an upbeat track that discusses his reasons for getting into the music business. It’s not original and everyone says the same thing, but if he honestly believes it, I won’t kill him for it. Of the singles that play on the radio this is one of the better ones, but am I the only one that hates when the money on my mind part of the chorus is played? It sounds unnatural. 3/5
Good Thing- I couldn’t really get into this song because he claims to much of a good thing is not good. Personally, I believe that’s not true. A good thing is good because… well… it’s good. Too much of it may make you appreciate it less, but that doesn’t stop it from being good.
He claims he should break off his friendship with a woman because of the unnecessary worry and stress he would cause her. They spend all their time together, but she doesn’t realize he wants her. Eventually he stops trying. That doesn’t mean that she had too much of a good thing. It means she didn’t appreciate it because she could have access to it at any time.
Also, did anyone find the percussion instruments unnecessary? They added excess parts to a song that was functioning well on its own. 2/5    
Stay With Me- I’ve said this before, but whenever an artist adds a choir to a song, I automatically think of the song in religious terms. Even though he’s trying to convince a woman to stay with him, I find that it can be related to a relationship with God as well. 3.5/5
Leave Your Lover- As the song states he wants a woman to leave her man for him instead. That could be an interesting premise if it was executed properly. Essentially the reason he gives for keaving her man is that he’d be sad without her. That’s unfortunate, but to me that’s not enough. As cliché as it is, I’d rather he said that her man beats her and she deserves better. At least I could get behind him and hope she leaves. But his explanation isn’t strong enough (and if you ask me a bit stupid) so I didn’t care whether he persuaded her. It sounds nice so I’d be lying if I said I hated the song. 3/5
I’m Not the Only One- His wife has cheated in him and this song discusses the aftereffects. It’s funny because he goes through all four stages of the process, denial, grief acceptance and result, but the listener doesn’t hear each stage as it happens. We are told about the previous three and through this song the audience can hear stage four as it is happening. It’s interesting, pitiful and genius at the same time. 4/5
I’ve Told You Now- When his reaches the higher octaves he sounds like Cee lo.   
He likes a woman, but can’t find the right words to tell her. I love how this song is able to transition. Some of it is great production, but the other half is Sam Smith. Most of the song is calm and well balanced, but at just the right moments there are explosions of sound. This works for two reasons. It forces us to pay attention to what is being said and it portrays Smith’s angst musically. Like JoJo’s Note to God this song uses gradual escalation of tension that leads to a final climax.
The other reason why this song works is Smith. He’s able to transition from high pitched angst to soft and relaxed at a moment’s notice without the feel of a harsh transition. Instead, it moves from point to point smoothly when it honestly shouldn’t.
It’s ironic that only in the midst of the highest amount of angst, when his thinking is the most frazzled, is he able to find the words to tell her. 5/5
Like I Can- I don’t know why he hasn’t made this a single. It would get a lot of radio play in the US. 3/5
Life Support- The idea of your spouse as a partner in life is not new, but I’ve never heard it framed in this manner.  4/5
Not in That Way- I think I like this song more than I should. It’s probably because I can relate to it. It also follows the simple formula I like, one instrument and one voice. That format makes it easier to pay attention to each aspect of the song. 4/5

Lay Me Down- This song is beautifully orchestrated. I starts off with Smith and the piano working hand in hand. But, Smith steals the spotlight and puts his voice on display. Because of the soft way he opened the song, this part of the song displays his range. He takes risks by adding choirs and micromanaging the song, but it definitely paid dividends. I’m not surprised this one is the first single for the album. 5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment